Sunday 23 October 2011

The Meaning of Surrender by Aimee Cavenecia

I'm getting to a place where I see effort as futile. I believe that the universe, the planet, the body; is intelligent beyond my understanding. - So why do I push to understand, or force to make things happen when I am a part of this perfect whole? I am this universe, this planet, this body. (When I say, I am this body, it doesn't mean that when it gives out or "dies" that I am no longer. It just means that I do not see myself as separate from the whole. I am infinitely connected & everything is consciousness. Everything is.)

The word surrender is moving closer to the forefront in my life. I'm beginning to crave it, & to experience its magic in layers. People seem to view surrender as giving up, as being defeated. They don't see it as a powerful choice. I love this quote by OSHO because it states that surrender is the ultimate: "All methods are non-surrendering, because a method means depending on yourself. You can do something; the technique is there, so you do it. On the path of surrender, you are no more, so you cannot do anything. You have done the ultimate, the last: you have surrendered."

Why would one need to surrender & how does one do it? Well, let's use my life & a few of the things I struggle with as an example. I have been diligently working on so many aspects of my life over the years. Some I've made great progress on, while other areas seem to only get so far. The feeling of "Why is this still an issue?" hovers over me at times. I remember asking someone I respect for their opinion on the problem I have with my spine. His answer was, "If you have tried everything, the only thing you have left is to believe that it will get better" (or something like that). What he was insinuating was, that I have made great efforts by relying on my chiropractor, but I haven't tried something simple as knowing that the problem will heal itself if I believed it would. - My excess body weight is another example of this. There is always a cleaner diet to be on or more exercise that I should take on. But something as simple as listening to my body & befriending it, as well as loving it unconditionally never seems to be the answer.
"Let go. Listening to something is an act of surrender." - Brian Eno
So we can see the importance of stopping the fight if we wish to attain peace, peace with ourselves & all that we view as outside of ourselves. But one can not have a surrender method. They can't buy a "How to Surrender & Win the War" book that lays it all out for them. It just is for them. It's happening. The person hasn't given up, they've opened up. They have chosen to expand, to encompass, & to trust. To be moved & to be one, with all that is & by all that is.

OSHO says it beautifully: "You cannot ask how to surrender; the very question is absurd. How can you ask how to surrender? Can you ask how to love? Either there is love or there is not, but you cannot ask how to love. […] Love is being totally open, vulnerable. It is dangerous. You become insecure. We cannot ask how to love, we cannot ask how to surrender. It happens! Love happens, surrender happens. Love & surrender are deeply one. But what is it? And if we cannot know how to surrender, at least we can know how we are maintaining ourselves from surrendering, how we are preventing ourselves from surrendering. That can be known & that is helpful."

There is a fine line between action & non-action. If you choose to not act, you are actually doing something. Let's use creativity as an example. Or dancing as an example. Or loving as an example. You decide to let go & it happens. Erich Fromm says, "Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties". - When I dance, I dance best when I totally let go. When I love, I love greatest when I am unconditional. - In both cases I have let go of all expectations.
"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control." - Julia Cameron
Another great example of letting go of expectations, believing & finding strength in surrender is Kung-Fu Panda. Yes, you read that right. The children's film based on a chubby panda bear that works at a noodle shop & is chosen to be a Dragon Warrior. There is a scene in the middle of the film were Shifu (played by Dustin Hoffman) is having a serious conversation with Master Oogway (played by Randall Duk Kim).

Here is a bit of the dialogue:

Shifu: The Panda?! That panda is not the Dragon Warrior, he wasn't even meant to be here! It was an accident.
Master Oogway: There are no accidents.
Shifu: Yes, I know. You've said that already, twice.
Master Oogway: Well, that was no accident either.
Shifu: Thrice.
Master Oogway: The Panda will never fulfill his destiny, nor you yours. Until you let go of the illusion of control.
Shifu: Illusion?
Master Oogway: Yes. Look at this tree. I can not make it blossom when it suits me, nor make it bear fruit before it's time.
Shifu: But there are things we can control. I can control when the fruit will fall & I can control where to plant the seed. That is no illusion! [Shifu swiftly karate chops the tree & fruit falls to the ground, - & on his head.]
Master Oogway: Ah, yes. But no matter what you do that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple, or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Shifu: But a peach can not defeat, Tai Lung [the antagonist]!
Master Oogway: Maybe it can. If you are willing to guide it, to nurture it, to believe in it.
Shifu: How? But how?! I need your help, Master.
Master Oogway: No. You just need to believe.

I will end this blog post by asking a few questions & leaving you with a few more quotes (because I love quotes so much). Take these questions seriously. Take out a pen & paper. Write freely & allow your answers to give you insights.

What are you resisting? What won't you let go of? What do you refuse to accept? - How is resisting it or fighting it or refusing to accept it working for you?

Is there an area in your life where you are not trusting, not allowing, or not believing in? - Do you feel you won't be safe or you'll be too vulnerable if you do? If so, why?


Can you see how surrendering & letting go could lead to powerful experiences & a happier you? It takes the weight off of you & allows you to be free.

"Surrender to life itself and you'll just be rewarded with so many things. And I've been rewarded so many times, in so many mysterious ways. So I have no reason to be disappointed with anything." - Jason Mraz
This is a quote by Jasmuheen that I modified a tinsy bit: "Accept the perfection of everything that has been & now is, accepting that it has been our co-creation. It means deciding to be more aware & more conscious about how & what & why we create & then perhaps finding the courage to do things a little differently so that Grace can arrange Itself more powerfully through our life. We do this firstly by being a more awake being & secondly by treating others as we ourselves wish to be treated. Next comes the act of surrender where we sincerely invite our higher Self to merge us into the stream of Its love, & then finally to allow Grace to rearrange Itself throughout our life until all we feel is: appreciation & love."
"The greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender." - William Booth

Aimee Cavenecia (also known as AimeeLovesYou) has an extensive background as a professional artist. Her current work is becoming an expert in Seeing, Loving, and Being (SLB). Aimee has dedicated the rest of her life to studying this field and sharing her insights on the topic.

2 comments:

  1. Is this the Amy from Brooklyn who used to paint on plastic and from whom I bought a small piece when in NY with my friend Bill Nunn about ten years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger! :) I just now read your comment...
      Yes! It is. Long time no see. :) How are you?
      Feel free to contact me via my website: www.aimeelovesyou.com

      Delete