Thursday 29 August 2013

Touchstones of the Heart~ by Susan Cadley

I’m a lover of life, celebrator of the small, cheerleader for the soul, and hope holder.  Reverence is my favorite word. 

When I lose someone or when I realize loss of life is imminent, I find myself bracing for what is to come and all the feelings that go along with the deep emotion of grief.  Grief is an emotion that rises up from the depths and takes you along for the ride on what can feel like a tumultuous river.   It’s not an emotion to be controlled or managed.  Like a river, it needs to move.   It will move you through loss if you allow it to have its way with you.  Otherwise you may get lost in a swirling eddy by the side of the river.  Grief will wait.

I began experiencing loss as a 5 year old when my paternal grandfather died.
My dad explained my grandfather’s lifeless body to me this way; “your grandfather is not really there; what you see is like a pencil without the lead.”  I wondered about that lead and where it had gone?   The stark reality of someone being here one minute and gone the next is jarring and traumatic.  I trusted my dad, as most little girls would and I would remember his words when he passed away 8 years later.   My family experienced continual losses throughout the years and after I got married, my husband’s family lost loved ones that I had come to know and love.

In order to honor my loved ones and to keep their memory alive, I created touchstones with their name and I keep them inside a sacred circle in my yard. They are my “tribe on the other side”.  And I believe as I send my love to them, their love returns to me.

Love is a powerful force.  Touch into the love when you need it.

When people are in the dying process, they usually want their friends and family around them.  Stories are told and remincing about past life celebrations are shared.  At the end of the journey here on earth, it’s people and love that is cherished.  The love we feel is what survives.  You can test this theory by closing your eyes and remembering someone you love that you’ve lost.  A feeling will more than likely rise up in you.  That is the love and connection you have with that person.  That feeling of love never dies or leaves you.

The heart emits much more electromagnetic energy than that of the brain or any other organ, according to recent research.  You can use the love that your heart holds as energy, fuel, or support when you need it.  Love is a touchstone. Tap into this limitless power.

Susan is a Licensed Psychotherapist and Soul Coach and sole proprietor of Living From Within, LLC. Through counseling, coaching, creative workshops, book studies, and writing, Susan guides you to hear and live the messages of your soul; www.coachingforyoursoul.com

3 comments:

  1. I love your touchstone ritual, Susan. Those look beautiful and good to the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    I love your 'tribe on the other side!' I lost my sister (who was also one of my bestest friends) in '08--and your touchstones hit my heart as a way to connect with her. Thank you for sharing this.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, thank you so much for sharing this. As you know, the message has special resonance in my heart right now. I'm thinking about the touchstones. ((bighugs))

    ReplyDelete