Thursday 3 May 2012

Consulting the Oracle by Meghan Genge

"In fairy tales, when something bad happens it means that something new has to be tried, a new energy has to be introduced, a helper, healer, magic force has to be consulted." - Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes

thinking pier web 
I own a very battered copy of Women Who Run with the Wolves. In fact, WWRWTW was the very first book that I properly wrote in. Before then, I wouldn't even fill in the blanks in books you were supposed to write in, but from the very first page I must have known that my experience with this book would somehow be different. I even dated the first reading in the same pen. Every time I have read the book since, I have used a different colour pen or pencil.

And do you know what? In the past 14 years, every time I went to the book, I underlined something different.

Apart from yellowing pages and a battered cover, the book hasn't changed. Not one word, sentence or paragraph has been altered in that time and yet different things are underlined depending on the date that they were read.

The book hasn't changed in 14 years, but I have. All of the wisdom, all of the stories and all of the words were there the very first time I opened that book, but I wasn't ready to read them.

There is a theory that you can't see something in others without it being present in yourself. I'd like to take that one step further and argue that all of the wisdom that you need is also already present within you when you are ready to hear it. All you are searching for in a book, a coach, a teacher, a mentor, a film or even a place of worship is the mirror that will reflect your inner knowing back to you.

And when you are ready, it will be there waiting. Just make sure you always carry a good pen.

Megg is a writer, a seeker, and a believer in magic.

2 comments:

  1. I own a pristine copy of this book, but is perhaps this student ready now? (To be fair, there are so many books waiting for their turn...) I adore the idea of a well-worn book, with different colors for lessons that resonated over the years. Thank you for this precious nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the idea of the world as a mirror--thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete