Wednesday 17 October 2012

Savoring the Moment by Susan Cadley



Summer is my favorite season and I usually find myself wanting to squeeze all the juice I can out of it.  I enjoy savoring the colors and fullness of this season.  For me, summer means playtime and a lightness of being.  I take this practice of savoring into my daily life so that I remain aware, awake, noticing, being present.  This is not only important in the work I do as a counselor, but in my daily life too.   I want to be fully here and experience what is in the now.  
savor |ˈsāvər|    Relish, enjoy (to the full), appreciate,delight in, revel in, luxuriate in, bask in.~Webster's Dictionary
My yard feels like a huge sprawling ranch that is full of life.  Even though it’s not and I live in the suburbs, there’s a lot going on in nature.  You'll notice too, as you slow down your outer pace. That's when savoring happens.
Savoring can happen anywhere, any place.  Consider how you can add more savoring into your day.  Take time to savor your favorite cup of tea or “joe”, relish in a conversation with a friend, see the love in your child, partner or pet’s eyes, notice the colors of nature or the formations of the clouds above.  This slowing down and savoring adds richness to life.  Just like meditation, a few moments of savoring can replenish your soul for the rest of the day.
Here's a poem I wrote while sitting in my yard on a cool September morn. It was a savoring moment, so I got out my poetry net to catch a few words about my experience.  I invite you to come on out into nature for a moment...and savor.
Savoring Sunday morning
Spying through coffee steam
The coolness calms
And begins to soothe
The summer heat
That loosens its grasp
Giving way to autumn
A black crow caw
Pierces through the sky
Announcing the transition
Parting the atmosphere
A rustle bustle of squirrels
Perform on balance beam fence
Marshmallow tufts lull over canvas blue
Grasshopper clings to screen
We all slow down
Moving inward
To rest
Into ourselves

Susan is a Licensed Psychotherapist and Soul Coach and sole proprietor of Living From Within, LLC. Through counseling, coaching, creative workshops, book studies, and writing, Susan guides you to hear and live the messages of your soul.

1 comment: