Tuesday 6 December 2011

Taking A Creative Journey – One Imperfect Step At A Time by Ginny Lennox

For the past five years I have been on a creative journey. It’s been amazing! It’s been frustrating! It has been so rewarding. Not only have I discovered some hidden talents but I have learned a lot about myself along the way. My journey actually began with yoga. After a difficult start, I realized that I probably would never be able to stand on my head. But I also learned how terrific I felt after class and that it didn’t matter if I could stand on my head. It just mattered that I enjoyed what I was doing. Then I took several painting classes and enjoyed all of them. But when I looked at my work I decided I would never really be a great artist and thought maybe there might be something else I should be doing. I remembered how much I loved to write so I took writing classes, started a blog, and began to write a book. I realized I do love writing and getting to know all of the other bloggers but writing a book can be a lonely process so my book and all of its characters are in the drawer for now. This month I took a photography class. Once again, it was so much fun meeting the other online students and seeing their work. The assignments have helped me to learn more about myself as a photographer. It was really fun to learn that I do have a point of view when I take pictures or that I actually can say I have a shooting style. Who knew? Certainly, not me. Now, I am starting an art journal where I can combine all of my new interests.

When I started this journey it was about finding something to do with my time. It was about meeting new people and learning new things. Now, it has become a way of life. I look at each day a little differently. When I wake up in the morning, I can’t wait to see how the sun shines through the trees or the raindrops glisten on the leaves. I can’t wait to take a picture to capture the moment or quickly sketch a flower in my journal. I look forward to writing a blog post and sharing it with my new friends around the world. Once it was about becoming an artist, or a writer, or a photographer. Now, it is about being creative, enjoying the process and producing something that makes me or someone else smile. In the beginning I was worried because I changed what I was doing so often. Now, I realize that on this journey I will always be changing but that my interests will always be intertwined. I think one of the most important things I have learned is not to be afraid to pick up the paint brush, or to start a blog, or to take a picture. I wanted to paint the perfect picture the first time I took a class. That didn’t happen. In fact, it still hasn’t happened and I doubt that it ever will. But this journey is not about being perfect. It is about enjoying life and all of the experiences that are there just for the taking. So, you may find a few sentence fragments in this piece. That’s ok. My pictures might be a little out of focus. Picasa can fix that. I might be facing right when the rest of the yoga class is turning left. I’ll figure it out soon enough. Is it easy going from a perfectionist to someone who is enjoying the process not necessarily the outcome? Definitely not. Is it worth taking a chance and risking the outcome? Absolutely, positively, yes!! So I invite you to begin or restart your own creative journey. I promise you that you will not be disappointed!

Ginny believes that each and every day is filled with special moments to be enjoyed and treasured. On her blog, Special Moments in Time, she encourages everyone to recognize and celebrate their own special moments each day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Ginny! You remind me of one of the richest rewards of creativity--that engagement with and attention to life's beautiful details. Here's to you and your rich process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelly. Your words always mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete