Monday 20 May 2013

A Kaleidoscope of Creativity by Lisa DeYoung

dream-play-create_sm


I've been creating pieces in photoshop – using my hand lettering along with some sort of background – for each of my Creative Dream Journal posts so far. Creative Spark sounded like such a fun prompt, but when I sat down to actually create a post I became stumped.

So I started searching for a quote I might like to use, that seemed to illustrate creative spark for me. I came up empty, but I did run across the word kaleidoscope and that somehow created a spark.

I'd like to think my creativity is a kind of kaleidoscope, with many beautiful and changing patterns and colors. My creative practice certainly involves dreaming, playing and creating (hence my little phrase came to life for this post:)

And this kalaidoscope – ever evolving "pattern or sequence of objects or elements" – can also feel a bit frustrating at times; frustration that I have historically felt when it comes to my creativity:
I start on one project, and a beautiful "shiny object" distracts my attention, and I move onto a new project before completing the previous one. And so it often goes...

More recently I have come to a sort of peace with all these shiny objects; I am able to see the beautiful patterns they have created in my life, and the lives of others.

I am also getting better at looking at each shiny object that appears in my lense, and deciding if I should let it distract me or if I should keep focused on the current creative endeavor in an attempt to spark it into a flame.

Some days I am better at this then others. Some days I am able to purposely put aside one project for another – knowing that I will be back, or that the project has been completely abandoned.

I am even beginning to see patterns in all the projects I have (and am) dipping into – whether completed or still sitting in a pile on the shelf some where.

I am finally trusting that my nurturing will surely fan my creative sparks into beautiful, warm flames. I love how it worked with this post, and I hope you've enjoyed it to.

How do you nurture your creative sparks into beautiful, warm flames, and manage them as they grow?

Lisa, aka the mountain mermaid, is a creative, independent spirit who loves to explore and play outdoors. She lives in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Embracing her creative life is an ongoing adventure, a journey that she loves and trusts more each year – and hopes to inspire others to do the same. She is also an entrepreneur providing innovative business support, including graphic design services, for passionate creative entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment