Thursday 9 August 2012

Connecting with our Inner Guides by Glenda Myles

Intuition means learning from within. It’s not something we are taught and in fact often we are guided to ignore our gut instinct and to trust our mental thoughts and reasoning. But the more we connect to our intuition the stronger it becomes. We all have an inner knowing, a sixth sense, our connection to the all-knowing that allows us to be all knowing even when we think we are anything but.

In July I celebrated my birthday. It marks my arbitrary mid-year mark. A time to reflect on the first half of the year, how I am doing on manifesting my dreams and goals, and allows me to make adjustments either to my own actions or to my goals.

As I reflected on my three core goals for 2012 – faith, harmony and connection – I consider some of the other things I had written down and wondered why I hadn’t moved forward and have even stalled completely on others, but I realized I have been very focused on my inner personal development.

One of my core goals this year was to cultivate my faith. This has come in many forms including working with a spiritual coach, being disciplined with my meditation and prayer practice, and listening and trusting my intuition. I have retreated over the past few months in an effort to get very quiet. It has been in those moments of quiet and stillness that I have become better attuned to my inner guides.

It takes practice not only to connect to that stillness, but to release the judgment and the rationale thinking that comes with the quiet. Moving past it. Having faith. Faith to trust that gut instinct, the sense that it is Truth, the guidance provided by these inner guides to live a life of purpose.

When you start to make choices based on your instinct you move towards a life with purpose which can be scary. Things change. The changes are not only inside us but are then reflected externally as well.

Part of the process that I am practicing/learning now is that an essential part of this process of following my instinct, having faith in the direction that my life is taking, is surrendering the outcome. I do not know where I will end up or what my life will look like a year or five years from now. All I know is that it will not be the same as it is today or was last year.

I am reminded of the wonderfully powerful poem by Marianne Williamson:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.

We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small
Does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine,
As children do.
We were born to make manifest
The glory of God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us;
It's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we're liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.  

Glenda at Myles Ahead Studio is a professional marketing strategist working to bring more creativity into business and make more ideas come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment